Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Opinions: who the fuck cares

Why do other people's opinions matter so much? Why is it that many people base most of their reality on the uncontrollable, unpredictable whims of others? Objectively looking at this phenomenon, it makes no sense. For one, you can't control other peoples views, and on top of that they don't lead your life. Secondly, it is a great way to be manipulated, because other people can change the standards by which they judge you at any time to bend you to their will.

Is the solution to have complete disregard for others? I say no, for if one were to do this they would live a rather unfulfilling life. If one were to do this he would have very little loved ones around him, and needless to say his love life would be non-existent. What is the perfect balance? Well, that is not a question I can answer, since it is relative to everyone. The best way to know if you have struck this balance is if you are truly happy and do not feel like you are not being true to yourself.

Some people may not like what I have wrote since it is not concrete, but rather esoteric and almost spiritual. I do not intend to be a new-age freak that preaches harmony, but I do preach harmony with yourself. One lesson I have learned, albeit a bit slowly, is to care and take care of my needs above all others. Sure, if you would've asked me prior to PU if I was doing this I would've blindly said yes. I would've been lying though. A friend of mine, and you know who you are, taught me this valuable lesson when one day I came back complaining that I had stood by while someone imposed their will on me, and I had smiled taking it like a bitch. This friend of mine cleverly picked up on the fact that I was caring too much of what others thought of me, and I was letting my internal reality be decided by these external factors.

Since then I have been making sure I am being true to myself. I ask myself, is this really what I want to do? Why do I care about what he/she thinks? I don't care what you think, so kindly fuck off :) (of course unless you are giving me constructive feedback :P)!

1 comment:

DDD said...

You just want me to do you in the pooper!

I think ppl are copping out when they say they don't care what others think. The more important issue is whether what others think can affect you. Which gets to the crux of the problem, you can conduct your life, ppl will react, and it's how you deal with that reaction.

In PU, it's not your opener, it's how you react to her response to your opener.